Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Education


 I wanted to write a post about my journey in education. I took an alternative route in this, but am so grateful for all of my experiences and people I have met along the way! This coming December I will finally graduate with my Bachelor's in Science in Business Management. I received two different Associates in Art's degrees before this. 

One was from my local community college in Washington, South Puget Sound. I started college in my senior year of high school, and would strongly suggest everyone to go this route if possible! The classes were paid for, and my only expense were books and supplies. After graduating high school I received an Achievement in Arts scholarship for the school, which was enough to pay for the rest of my degree. 

Soon after high school I went to New York for a Fashion Design Summer Program at Pratt Institute. My dream has always been to have my own fashion collection and dress celebrities for the red carpet, so I jumped on the chance to study in New York. 



I had applied to 12 different colleges and received over $100,000 in scholarships and grants. But my dream college was Pratt Institute, I remember I stayed up all night waiting for my acceptance letter, and cried when it started with Unfortunately.... The school looks for a students who have a fine arts background- and that was not exactly something I had. My high school didn't really offer classes to help build portfolios or anything like that, so I was very limited.My specialty has always been hand work, sewing and beading garments. So attending their summer program was the next best thing in my books. 






After this program I packed my life and shipped it in boxes to Chicago to attend SAIC- The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. I loved the city so much, but it was much much colder then what I was used to. I was enrolled full time- and actually did a few online classes from my community college at the same time. At one point I was taking 9 different college classes. I left Chicago almost a year later and I applied and got accepted to Western Washington University. I was there for only a quarter and remember taking one costume making class where my teacher's experience was working in a factory sewing sleeping bags. 

After this my sister and I decided to both move to Los Angeles. I was accepted to FIDM in LA the year before, and luckily they give you a year to decide if you want to attend. I really liked my time there, and the Fashion Design program made me into the person I am today. After working full time for a solid year I decided I did want to return for my Bachelor's. I did my entire program online while working full time! 

I plan on starting my MBA program next year. Looking back on this journey seems so crazy. Sometimes I wish I hadn't hopped around so much, but I did get to experience all of these cities and know I love LA and California the most. What struck me most about this today is that I had no idea that I would be doing what I am doing now, life is actually better then what I predicted. My advice to anyone who is applying for school is to be persistent, choose the path that is right for you (not your family, friends or boyfriend), and to always be persistent. Even when I faced rejection I always knew that maybe that's not exactly right for me for a reason! 

No comments:

Post a Comment