Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Interview with Julia Ahrens, Vegan Princess



I’m so excited and honored to interview one of my best friends from college, Julia Ahrens. We met in 2007 at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, NY. Since then Julia has found her roots as a passionate advocate of the vegan diet and lifestyle. ***


Julia Ahrens holds a degree in fashion design from Parsons The New School for Design. She has furthered her education by taking additional classes at the Fashion Institute of Technology and Pratt. She has worked and interned for various designers such as Zac Posen and Club Monaco, and has created garments that have walked the runway during New York Fashion Week. A vegetarian since she was eleven, now a vegan, Julia wants her contribution to fashion to be compassionate, avoiding the harm of traditional production methods and practices. She started her own women's clothing line, Miakoda, in February of 2013, which respects and protects the rights of animals, people, and the earth. She is passionate about preserving the New York fashion industry and fair labor practices. Miakoda is committed to producing all of their designs in a factory in NYC where all workers are treated well and paid fairly. Julia's goal is to dress people in ethical clothing that allows them to look good and feel good physically and mentally. Miakoda has been featured on chicvegan.com, thetreekisser.com, Good Day Chicago, thelilfoxes.com, and girliegirlarmy.com.



Q. Describe to me what Miakoda is and what you do, your mission etc.

“Miakoda is an eco friendly and cruelty free fashion company. We design ethical clothing that is made in the USA with 100% compassionate and organic materials. No animals, people, or places are harmed during production. The mission behind Miakoda is to create an option in the market place for women to purchase clothing that makes them feel good both physically and mentally.”

Q. How has becoming vegan changed your lifestyle? Is there anything you miss?

“Going vegan completely changed my lifestyle—from the way I eat, to the activities I do, to the way I shop. Not only do I eat a vegan diet, but I practice veganism in all aspects of my life (fashion, beauty, etc). I no longer use any products that contain animal derived ingredients (including beeswax in chap stick) and don’t wear any animal fibers (wool, silk, fur, leather). I think that the hardest part about going vegan was giving up leather, wool, and silk. As a fashion major, shopping and following what the latest trends were was a huge part of my life. I would religiously stalk out my favorite (leather) shoes from each season. However, since going vegan, I’ve discovered so many incredible vegan companies (Bhava, Cri-de-Coeur, Krze Studio, Stella McCartney, just to name a few) that there is nothing that I miss.


Q. Tell me about some of your favorite vegan beauty products?

“Some of my favorite vegan makeup companies are Urban Decay (I love that they don’t test on animals and indicate what is vegan on their website), Tarte, ELF (the best deal—cheap, cruelty free, and quality!), and my new discovery Earth lab Cosmetics. My favorite skincare company is Simple Care Products. I use their conditioning oil to moisturize and remove my makeup. Hurraw is my favorite vegan lip balm company (incredible flavors!). And of course I love  Lush. Their bath bombs are to die for.”




Q. Tell me more about being vegan and what it means to you. What is the message you would like to send to anyone interested.

“Veganism means living a completely cruelty free lifestyle. Veganism means not exploiting animals, which inherently helps people and our planet. The biggest message that I would like to convey is that veganism, contrary to popular believe, isn’t about “forcing your ideas onto other people” or “giving up your favorite food.” It’s about living a more compassionate lifestyle towards all living beings. It’s about finding new favorites and trying new things—new foods, new makeup, new fashion to ensure that you are living a kind life that you feel good about.”

Q. How can becoming vegan help ones’ fitness, beauty pageant and looking your best?

When I first went vegan I had no idea how healthy it is. There are tons of documentaries and studies showing how a vegan diet is healthiest for the human body (for example: Forks Over Knives). I’ve seen so many health and fitness advocates telling people to increase their fruit and vegetable intake in order to be healthier. As a vegan, the majority of my diet consists of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes. Of course, it is possible to eat an unhealthy vegan diet (buying processed vegan food), but I have found for me, since going vegan I eat a healthier and cleaner diet which helps me to look and feel my best.


 You can learn more about Miakoda New York on the following sites and social media links!


[Please note that I personally am not 100% vegan. My diet does fluctuate depending on my work schedule. I typically tend to eat vegan during warmer summer months when my favorite fruits and veggies are in season. If I am working on any special projects and need to watch what I eat I turn to a goal of 50% raw vegan diet. I have found that this works best for my body type and does not bloat me in regards to my various food sensitivities and allergies.] 

No comments:

Post a Comment